. Military-Civilian: Hot Jobs, Events, and Helpful Information for Veterans Seeking Civilian Careers: Finally, with last weekend having seen Memorial Day ceremonies across the country, here is a poem that is appropriate for remembering our fallen comrades.

Monday, June 3, 2013

Finally, with last weekend having seen Memorial Day ceremonies across the country, here is a poem that is appropriate for remembering our fallen comrades.

The Unknown Soldier
By Billy Rose

There's a graveyard near the White House Where the Unknown Soldier lies, And the flowers there are sprinkled With the tears from mother's eyes.

I stood there not so long ago
With roses for the brave,
And suddenly I heard a voice
Speak from out from the grave:

"I am the Unknown Soldier”,
The spirit voice began
"And I think I have the right
To ask some questions man to man.

Are my buddies taken care of?
Was their victory so sweet?
Is that big reward you offered
Selling pencils on the street?

Did they really win the freedom
They battled to achieve?
Do you still respect that Croix de Guerre Above that empty sleeve?

Does a gold star in the window
Now mean anything at all?
I wonder how my old girl feels
When she hears a bugle call.

And that baby who sang
Hello, Central, give me no man's land.
Can they replace her daddy
With a military band?

I wonder if the profiteers
Have satisfied their greed?
I wonder if a soldier's mother
Ever is in need?

I wonder if the kings, who planned it all Are really satisfied?
They played their game of checkers
And eleven million died.

I am the Unknown Soldier
And maybe I died in vain,
But if I were alive and my country called, I'd do it all again.”

No comments: