Management Information System Specialist
Management Information System (MIS) Specialist
Position Description for Management Information System Specialist
Number of people: 1
Location: D.C. area; must be able to commute to headquarters in Crystal City, VA 4 days/week (Monday to Thursday)
Must be willing to travel to Cambodia periodically. 9 short-term visits
to provide technical assistance, varying in length between two to four
The MIS Specialist, acting primarily in an advisory role, will provide supervisory technical assistance at the national and sub-national levels in assigned country(ies). This will involve helping to pursue the strategy of taking “a systematic approach to selecting and implementing technology initiatives to support country MIS, which leverages lessons learned in development and commercial best practices to complement an overall health systems strengthening framework.”
The MIS Specialist is expected to provide services under the umbrella of Country Programs focused Systems Strengthening. Focus areas of concern across the countries include:
MIS Development, Integration, and Deployment. Provide technical assistance for tools and capabilities to integrate in-country systems at the national and sub-national levels, with global systems, such as for supply chain management (SCM) and logistics management, and extend supply chain visibility for the project and USAID. This may also require coordination, collaboration and integration with activities, applications and systems provided by other aid donors.
MIS Strategy. Determine and target optimal approaches to automation for country specific MIS, which recognizes the different levels of maturity, sophistication and capacity among the aid recipient countries and the need for effective and efficient solutions that are viable and sustainable in each context.
Legacy software applications. Develop transitional and transformational strategy and plans for legacy software applications that will include upgrading tools and providing ongoing support. The strategy will prioritize upgrades for the applications and describe plans for ongoing support, including for tools such as for ForLab, LabEQIP, PPMR and PPMRm.
Community and conference attendance and participation. Attendance and participation in select conferences, such as, the OpenLMIS Product Committee, the GS1 Global Health Supply Chain, and African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM), to provide briefings, discussions and material.
Services are expected to be delivered through Headquarters based work, and Short Term Technical Assistance (STTA) visits to assigned countries and other travel destinations, as necessary. Support of aid recipient countries may at times be greatly aided by the capability to carry out effective business and technological communications in foreign languages. At a minimum, the MIS Specialist should anticipate being able to communicate through presentations and other means, including when facilitated by a translator.
Required Skills for Management Information System Specialist
In order to perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and responsibility satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the required knowledge, skills, and/or abilities needed to perform the principal duties.
• Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; advanced degree preferred.
• Minimum of ten (12) years of relevant experience developing, assessing, and implementing MIS solutions in international development
• Proven experience in advising public sector clients
• Demonstrated ability to advise, work with and lead cooperating partners in implementing complex programs
• Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
• Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity.
• Willingness to travel globally (estimated maximum 9 trips a year, mostly 2 weeks each, sometimes 4 weeks)
• Fluency in English required.
• Experience architecting/designing MIS solutions with distributed applications developed (Java, PHP, Python, Perl, or Microsoft technologies), PostgreSQL (>8 years);
• Experience architecting/designing MIS solutions with the XAMPP solution stacks (>8 years)
• Experience architecting/designing Internet web-based applications (>10 years)
Preferred Skills for Management Information System Specialist
• System and Software Architecture and Design (>10 years)
• System Design/Build and Operate/Maintain practices and their implementation (>5 years)
•I nfrastructure Engineering (>3 years)
• Project Management (>5 years)
• Developing Business Cases (>2 years)
• Fluency in language of developing countries (French, Spanish, or Portuguese preferred)
Please send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
or apply online http://www.truenorthlogistics.com/
Please use the Quick Shares below to send these career opportunities out to your social media sites such as Facebook, Twitter>>>>>>>>>>>> to help others find employment.
When you get employed, reach back and help a fellow Service men and women over the wall.
What goes around, comes around. Help when and where you can.
You, a family member or friend could be next to need a job.