. Military-Civilian: Hot Jobs, Events, and Helpful Information for Veterans Seeking Civilian Careers: From Combat Boots to Dress Shoes

Tuesday, June 26, 2012

From Combat Boots to Dress Shoes


By SMSgt (ret) Tony Barnes
Retiring from the military and looking for a job can be humbling. After a highly successful career where I excelled at nearly every junction of military service, I suddenly was looking for a new place to go every day. When you have spent your entire adult life contributing to the mission of the US military, it is quite an adjustment to have to seek out gainful, meaningful employment.
Lesson in Resume Editing
I found myself applying for everything from emergency management jobs with the Federal Emergency Management Agency to assistant manager jobs at ToysRUs. Although I had been taught in the Air Force (AF) Transition Assistance Program seminar to have a different version of my resume for each job description, I somehow thought my resume would 'walk on water'. I didn't have the patience to actually edit my resume to fit each job description. Later I would learn how much that approach is mistaken.
Networking Versus Job Web Sites
Since I had worked as a part time local radio station deejay for the last two years of my military career, I figured my first job would come as a result of networking. I was well known in the community and loved attending civilian events to promote the radio station. However, all of my leads led to nowhere. My first job came as a result of using the Careerbuilder website (www.careerbuilder.com).
Within a short time of hitting the Careerbuilder button for a recruiting position, I received a call from a recruiter for a job with a defense contracting firm. As I started my recruiting job, I would soon learn much about altering resumes to fit job descriptions. Only by doing so can people have a prayer regarding gaining employment. With a tough economy the competition can be very intense. Since employers use word searches from job descriptions, matching the resume with job description is paramount . If a person hasn't tailored their resume to fit those key words, their resume will likely never be seen by an actual human being.
Great Fit for a Retired First Sergeant
My current job as a Wounded Warrior Advocate for the US Army came as a result of networking. A good friend told me about a new program the Air Force was standing up called the Recovery Care Program. I applied for the US Air Force Academy Recovery Care Coordinator (RCC) position. After a couple of interviews I did not get the position and figured I would be staying in the recruiting job. However, a couple of months later the recruiter from the contract company with the RCC contract called me and told me she could get me to Fort Carson if I was interested in doing a similar job with the Army.
Without my knowledge, she had already submitted my resume to the Army. However, she related that it was turned back due to lack of Army experience. Being tenacious the recruiter asked me if I had ever done anything with the Army. I told her I had been stationed at Fort McClellan, Alabama back in the mid-90s. She asked me to accentuate that experience on my resume and she would resubmit it through proper channels. I made the adjustments to the resume and after another interview was hired into an Army Wounded Warrior Advocate position. In fact, the job is such a great fit for a retired Air Force First Sergeant that we have managed to get two other retired AF First Sergeants into positions on Fort Carson. It's ironic to have three retired AF senior non-commissioned officers working an Army program. However, the job is a perfect fit and closely resembles the role of an AF First Sergeant.
Summary of Lessons Learned
Transitioning from the military can be tough. It takes effort while looking for a job. I was naïve to rely upon one version of a resume. It was important that I took advantage of networking opportunities as well as using internet job boards to find job opportunities. Finding a job was a job and persistence paid off. Had I known then what I know now, my search may not have been near as tough.

No comments: