. Military-Civilian: Hot Jobs, Events, and Helpful Information for Veterans Seeking Civilian Careers: Preparing paring for the Cultural Shift from Military to Civilian Work Life

Monday, November 19, 2018

Preparing paring for the Cultural Shift from Military to Civilian Work Life


Former veteran and city administrator Dustin Rief explains.

BLOG POST | Nov 6, 2018











ICMA dedicates this blog post to veterans and transitioning military members. It also provides valuable tips and best practices for anyone trying to land a job in local government. These tips come from the new ICMA handbook, Veterans Guide to Finding a Job in Local Government.

Preparing for the Cultural Shift from Military to Civilian Work Life

Dustin Rief, City Administrator, Orono, Minnesota

A couple of the challenges I had to overcome were the change in my authority and the impact my decisions had and then filling the void. I was in the Army from 1996 to 2007 and rose to the rank of staff sergeant by seven years time-in-service. I was responsible for millions of dollars in assets and numerous people. Shifting from an enlisted E-6 with more than 10 years of service in 2007 to a sales job in aviation did not carry the same responsibilities. There was no personnel to manage; there was little financial responsibility, and my level of responsibility and relevance seemed to be dismantled. 
How Do You Overcome This Hurdle?

Manage your expectations and know that much of your life will not be the same, especially at work. What I knew and what the civilian world expected me to know were not exactly in line. I had to use my mind to transition my thinking and lingo out of squad leader and platoon sergeant to manager and division manager. I had to interpret my skills in managing soldiers and aviation maintenance programs into human resource management and capital improvement plans. I had to transition my counseling and NCOER (Non-Commissioned Officer Evaluation Report) writing skills into writing ordinances and resolutions.



No comments: